Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Overcoming obstacles alongside youth

Former Marine Tony Austin
puts cops and kids through paces
With the physical stress taking its toll, Carine Dagossy was at the breaking point, shown by the grimace on her face.

In spite of the duress she was under, the Grade 11 student was not going to quit now, especially since making it to the halfway point of the Toronto Police-organized “Project O” boot-camp-style fitness 13-course program. The “O” stands for Overcoming Obstacles Onto Opportunities.

The West Hill Collegiate Institute student is among several youths from some of the city’s designated priority neighbourhoods who are using the camp as preparation for the Spartan five-kilometre obstacle course team race on June 23 at Hardwood Hills in Barrie.

“After my first day here last January, I was not sure I was going to make it all the way,” Dagossy said.

“But I am enjoying it now.”

She said she was turned on to physical exercises, a few months ago, in high school.

“I was excelling in my gym class and then I followed my sister into kickboxing,” Dagossy added.

The Kingston-Galloway resident is looking forward to the Spartan Race and a career in policing. She volunteers at the East Scarborough Boys and Girls Club, where 14-year-old Shyanne Charles – who was killed in last summer’s Danzig St. shooting -- was a member.


“At the club, there are some young people who make negative remarks about the police,” she said.

“I want to make a difference and I believe policing is one of the ways in which you can do that. The discipline and training I am learning in this camp will also help me to pursue a law enforcement career.”

The nearly 20 program participants are from city shelters and Covenant House.

“This is an awesome program,” Ferris Mirza said.

“It has allowed me to meet new people and network… and the officers we are dealing with here are clearly good cops and good people because they are reaching out to young people and the community.”

Former United States Marine Corps drill instructor Tony Austin runs the boot-camp-style class.

“This is an opportunity for young people to come out and have fun while doing something positive,” said Austin, who spent 22 years in the military.

“The exercises are designed to push them to the limit and show them they can overcome obstacles. If they are tired and ready to quit, I let them know they have one more in them. It’s all about empowering and instilling confidence in them. Along the way, they learn about teamwork and respect for authority.”

The “Project O” is a seasonal extension of the classes Austin leads at Fit Factory gym.

Transit Patrol Unit Const. Jesse Weeks conceived the idea for the program after taking part in an “O” course a few months ago at Toronto Polson Pier.

“I took part in the Spartan Race, Tough Mudder and Warrior Dash events last year and realized these are excellent from a team-building activity standpoint,” said Weeks.

“When I was in the “O” course, I found Tony to be very inspirational and a good trainer and I thought he would be excellent working with disadvantaged youth. With his military background, I knew he was going to earn the respect of the young people.”

ProAction Cops and Kids funds “Project O”. Since its establishment just over two decades ago, ProAction has become the largest private funder of Toronto police programs for young people.

Sabrina Holmes of ProAction is also a “Project O” participant.

“I wanted to go through the experience,” she said.

“So far, I am very impressed with the young people’s dedication and enthusiasm.”

In addition to Weeks, other Service members in the program are Sgt. Rita Morehouse of Corporate Planning, Consts. Luke Watson and Jenifferjit Sidhu of the Divisional Policing Support Unit, 51 Division Consts. Julia Grant and Omar Tayara and Transit officer Const. Werner Fairclough.

Source











No comments:

Post a Comment